Thursday, March 22, 2012

Love the Slideshow




Let's talk about cousins for a minute.

Sometimes the strings that all tie us together as families get overlooked or taken for granted. We forget how woven our lives are to each other. How affected we get when one of our fibers is hurting. And I think it's quite clear how all of Gage's cousins have reacted to the news that one of their littlest (but biggest tease to boot) has a brain tumor, has to have surgery, and will take a while to recover. 

I saw the processors in my kids kick into gear. Questions spilling out of their mouths before they can even take a breath of air to ask more. But the first question and the most important of all, "Is he going to be ok?"

When we are threaded together tightly, we need to know how to help fix what is hurt. And part of that healing is watching, being and loving Gage. His cousins have rallied around him. To shyly say hello. To make him giggly with toilet jokes that only cousins can get away with. To hold his hand at school. And to share with the world, through a slideshow, our love for our Gage.

Senekah, Gage's 14 year old cousin, made this slideshow for Gage. She used the song I Won't Let Go by Rascal Flatts. Troy and Gretchen's song to their kids.  And while this song is strong and meaningful to Gage's parents, I think the sentiments bleed through to his cousins as well.

It hurts my heart
To see you cry
I know it's dark
This part of life
Oh it finds us all
And we're too small
To stop the rain
Oh but when it rains

I will stand by you
I will help you through
When you've done all you can do
And you can't cope
I will dry your eyes
I will fight yoru fight
I will hold you tight


Gage: 

We will stand by you and hold you tight. 
All of us.

Love, 
Your Cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment